Sunday, February 10, 2013

Department Farewell Function Address to the Students

on FAREWELL-10/02/2013 Bidding farewell brings to my mind Gabriel Okara’s poem Once Upon a Time where he says, “I have also learnt to say, ‘Goodbye’ When I mean ‘Good-riddance.’” Indeed, in a world where we ‘laugh with our teeth’ and ‘shake hands without hearts’, it is understandable that we lack sincerity and warmth of feelings when we say,’farewell.’ However, when out-going students are bidden fare well by the Department, it’s a sincere wish that they be fair in their dealings en route to fairing well in their life and career. Teachers, of course, feel flattered if it turns out in due course that they and the Department have been a value-addition to the students’ development. This official farewell notwithstanding, I must say that the students were much ahead of the times in that much before this occasion, they took French leave of us-they just stopped coming to the classes! Yet, I don’t regret that for I believe in the wise saying that a good teacher is one who makes himself gradually useless! Therefore, when students stop coming to my class I am on cloud nine. The gradual disappearance of the students from my class is enough empirical evidence of the fact that I am a good teacher! Good teachers don’t remain useful eternally. They gradually back off leaving their students capable enough to fend for themselves. In addition, I am not one of those advocates of having a captive audience in the classroom by hanging the sword of attendance percentage over the students’ heads. Nevertheless, I am sure the students know that if they fail to prepare, they must prepare to fail. The second option will not come into play, I am damn sure! For there’s no use digging the past. It’s about utilizing what is left before you. You still have a few days and a few nights before your examination which is your immediate goal. “Though much is taken much abides.” I am sure, you are a bunch of young men and women ‘strong in will’ ‘to strive, to seek, to score!’ Even then, in the intervening period between this moment and your final exams if you realize that I am still useful-there by proving me not good- you can always get in touch for remedial measures. You know you can get in touch with me on any highway, be it real or virtual (more so the virtual).

2 comments:

  1. simply awesome...sir i am jst in awe of ur writing ang n expressing capabilities....wish i cud ever come close to it one day....

    ReplyDelete