Sunday, November 21, 2010

Living in Glass Houses

Teachers always seem to take the high moral ground when the issue of student absenteeism crops up. They suggest fines,detention etc as remedies. But teaching a class comprising of a 'captive audience' is simply not done, to me.
But those who live in glass houses should not throw stones at others, goes the age old saying. The modern version,of course, goes thus: "those who live in glass houses should change in the basement" Student absenteeism is not the headache of the powers-that-be-teacher absenteeism is.Rightly so. That explains the punching card issue recently in the news to monitor teacher attendance.
The moral of the story is that the teachers should first get their act together before taking the high moral ground. After all, it's difficult to say with a straight face to your students: " Do as I say, not as I do."
.

2 comments:

  1. papori barooah
    yes i do agree to what you say...as far as i can, i make it obligatory for myself to be there 5 minutes before the class and if ever i am late (due to modern day obstacles as the :mighty guwahati traffic rush" i say a humble "sorry" before i begin...but i keep it open for my students to leave the class if they feel the class isnt what they want it to be...it is a challenge that i put before myself - to keep the students glued to their seats and their attention glued to me!
    papori barooah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you don't relish a captive audience. And I am doubly sure you are up to the challenge. After all, glass is not the only building material around.

    ReplyDelete