Saturday, November 6, 2010

Not In My Backyard(NIBY) syndrome

Finished reading Absolute Khuswant this instant. The following lines from the Chapter My Biggest Worry : Intolerance:

"We allowed fascism to dig its heels in our courtyard. We let them get away with every step they took and never raised a howl of protest. today they burn books they do not like; they beat up journalists who write against them; they attack cinema houses showing films they do not approve of; they vandalize the paintings of India's leading artist; they pervert texts from history books to make them conform to their ideas; they foul mouth everyone who disagrees with them.We fail to hit back because we have never been a united force and do not realize the perils of allowing our country to fall into their hands," remind of those great lines from Martin Niemoller:

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

No comments:

Post a Comment